Skip to main content

tv   This Week With George Stephanopoulos  ABC  August 5, 2012 10:00am-11:00am EDT

10:00 am
good morning and welcome to "this week." olympic fever. as the world's premiere athletes compete in london -- the presidential campaign here keeps its fierce pace. with stops on the economy. >> the president doesn't have policies that put american families back to work. tax plans. >> he's asking you to pay more so people like him can get a big tax cut. and tax returns. >> harry reid has to put up or shut up, all right? so, harry, who are your sources? >> the big questions, was friday's jobs report a sign of hope or more of the same? and how much of a splash can romney make with his running mate? we'll ask the party chairs. debbie wasserman schultz for the
10:01 am
democrats and reince priebus for the gop and our powerhouse roundtable. with george will, ann coulter, van jones, steve rathner and jon karl. plus, abc news at the olympics. all of the latest from london. hello, again, and how about that michael phelps? what a stunning cap to his olympic career last night. 18th gold medal. as the top olympian ever. we'll have more on that coming up. but politics first, face-off for the party chairs in the first week in august. debbie wasserman schultz here for the democrats and reince priebus for the republicans. debbie, let me start with you, unemployment report that came out on friday the good news,
10:02 am
163,000 jobs created. bad news, unemployment up to 8.3%. that makes 42 straight months of unemployment above 8%. no president since fdr has been elected with numbers close to that, so how do you respond to americans who say that 8% unemployment just isn't good enough? >> we know that we need to keep pressing forward and continue to fight for new jobs and getting this economy turned around. but what we do also know is that we have had 29 straight months of job growth. now in the private sector. this month, friday's job report, 132,000 new jobs were created. we have had a surge in the growth in the manufacturing sector. more than 500,000 jobs created in manufacturing. and that's the first time that we have seen job growth in manufacturing since the 1990s. we are moving in the right direction and the president has purposed the america's job act. it would be great if my colleagues would care more about
10:03 am
getting the economy turned around and working with this president to pass that plan and create millions jobs that would be created. >> congress has gone home. so that's not going to happen this year. >> well, but we shouldn't have gone home before passing the america jobs act. they care more about defeating this president more than working with him to pass a balanced plan. the ball is in their court. >> romney said that he doesn't want any more intervention from the federal reserve between now and election day, do you agree with that? >> i'm sorry, i messed your question. >> mitt romney also said that in an interview out today, that he doesn't want any more intervention from the federal reserve. do you agree with that? >> i think that's up to the federal reserve. it's an independent financial institution. it's important that we not dictate from the white house or certainly from candidates for president of the united states what the federal reserve should be doing. that's why they are an
10:04 am
independent institution. >> the democratic senate leader harry reid made a pretty explosive charge this week, he said that romney hasn't paid taxes in ten years. here he is on the senate floor. >> the word is out that he hasn't paid any taxes for ten years. let him prove that he has paid taxes, because he hasn't. >> now, you know, senator reid his only source there is an anonymous bain investor whose identity that he won't reveal. is it appropriate for the democratic leader in the senate to make a charge like that with no more than anonymous source? >> george, i don't know who the source is. >> isn't that the point? >> if romney can clear this up -- mitt romney could clear this up in ten seconds by releasing 23 years of tax returns when he gave to john mccain when he was being vetted for vice president.
10:05 am
even 12 years of tax returns that his own father said was appropriate. >> but it's one thing to say -- >> let's not forget a week ago, mitt romney said, in response to a reporter's question, when asked if he had ever paid a rate below 13.9%, that he would check and get back to us. i'm glad that i wasn't holding my breath, he still hasn't responded. whether he's paid a lower tax rate. >> but he has denied that he hasn't paid taxes for ten years. i take your point that it would be right to show more tax returns. at the s same time, i can't believe that you think it would be okay to make a charge like that with no evidence. >> like i said, i don't know whose harry reid source was, but i do know that this is a question that has swirled around mitt romney for this entire campaign. i do know that he could clear it up just like that by releasing his tax returns. which every major president candidate has done, except for
10:06 am
mitt romney. i know there are questions about why he has investments in cayman islands and bermuda? those are questions when you're running for president of the united states, that the american people deserve answers to, why is mitt romney refusing to answer them? why is he refusing to show the american people what he was willing to show john mccain 23 years of information on? there's got to be a reason. >> i take it from your answer that you're not going to repudiate senator reid's charge? >> everybody is responsible for saying the things that they have information on, harry reid said that he has a credible source, i know that this question has not been generated by harry reid. it's been asked by countless reporters. >> congresswoman, do you stand by harry reid's charge? >> what is he hiding? i stand by the fact -- george, i
10:07 am
stand by the fact that i believe, like the overwhelming majority of voters show, because polls all show that mitt romney owes us more than one more year of tax returns. owes answers to questions about his overseas investments. o owes us answers as to why he's decided to invest in foreign countries as opposed to investing in the united states? owes us answers to why he shipped jobs overseas at bain. when president obama has a plan to incentive companies to bring jobs back here. they weren't raised by harry reid. they were raised by voters, people who have a right to ask and mitt romney has yet to come clean. on the answers to any of those questions. one final question, president obama celebrating his birthday, he got a little present from the rnc over the weekend. i want to show it.
10:08 am
birthday cake saying, "you didn't bake this." happy birthday, mr. president. do you think the president will be able to shake "you didn't build" line? >> if republicans weren't supporting cuts in investments like education, like infrastructure, like all of the things that we know help businesses thrive. president obama has always been committed to making sure that small businesses have an opportunity to thrive. large businesses and that's why he pushed through eight different tax breaks for small business owners. but president obama is also supporting investments in infrastructure, education, the internet and the economy, so that businesses have more of an opportunity to thrive, while republicans support slashing and mitt romney supports major cuts in those kind of programs which would harm businesses' ability to thrive. that's the choice we've got in this election. do we want to continue moving in the direction that president obama has taken?
10:09 am
asks folks pay a little bit more who can so we can make investments. we're all in this together. this election should not be about defeating barack obama. it should be about getting the economy turned around. >> let's get a response from republican chair, reince priebus. good to see you, mr. chairman. >> good morning, george. >> let's get a response right away from you just heard from the congresswoman. >> do we want to continue down did direction of unemployment above 8% for countless months for a president who hasn't lived the mission? people aren't better off than three, four years ago. hasn't fulfilled the promises. do we want to continue that direction? heck no. as far as harry reid is concerned, listen, you might want to go down that road, i'm not going to respond to a dirty liar, who hasn't filed a single page of tax returns himself. complains about
10:10 am
people with money, but lives in the ritz-carlton down the street from here. i'm not going to go there. this is just a made-up issue. the fact that we're going to spend any time talking about it. is ridiculous. >> you just called him a dirty liar, do you stand by it, you think harry reid is a dirty liar? >> i just said it. >> so, what do you want from him right now? >> listen, this president has a job to do. and harry reid has a job to do. we have an opportunity in this country to save the very idea of america. to bring back the days of liberty, freedom, the american dream. and the fact is, we're just -- we're not doing well right now. as an economy. and this president, is the head of this country. and he has not fulfilled the mission and he hasn't lived up to the promises that he made to the people of this country. and it's hard to believe that
10:11 am
the president of 2008, when he campaigned and said that he was going to bring america together that he would trot out harry reid and try to divide this country and spread this division and hatred, it's ridiculous, it's wrong and it's untrue. it's just going to hurt the president. >> setting aside harry reid's charges, a lot of republicans, a lot of major figures in your party, said mitt romney should release more of his tax returns, wouldn't that make a lot of questions go away? >> george, here's what i think, i think president has a problem with the american dream. you know, when i grew up and i know both republicans and democrats listening to this right now agree with this, when i grew up, in a great place in wisconsin, my dad was a union electrician, my mom was a realtor, we drove around town and when my parents -- and we drove passed a beautiful house, on the corner, my parents didn't point at the house and say,
10:12 am
look at this lousy people in this gorgeous house. my dad probably did the same thing that your dad did, he turned around, he said, listen, pal, if you work hard and you go to school, mom and dad, we hope you live in that house. we hope it's two times bigger than that house. that's the american dream. and this idea that we're spending all of our time killing people because they live the american dream and made something out of nothing and made money, i mean, this is crazy talk. >> the short answer is, you don't believe that he has to do anything more on the tax returns? >> i just think we need to get back to the issues. i think it's hurting the president because people know that the job to do in this country and the job that he president claimed that he was going to do, what did he say? jobs one. he hasn't met with his jobs
10:13 am
council. the job of barack obama can be summarized in one word -- solyndra. that's barack obama's philosophy. >> let me ask you another question about taxes. romney's tax plans could raise taxes on the middle class. they point out this study from the tax policy center, it said that our major conclusion is that any revenue-neutral individual income tax change that incorporates the features governor romney has proposed would provide large tax cuts to high-income households and increase the tax burden on middle-class tax ji pears. not to raise taxes on the middle class? >> well, that's just not true. because they didn't take -- first of all, this thing was written by a former employee of barack obama. that's number one. number two -- >> it worked for president bush.
10:14 am
>> it's a credible source. >> okay, we'll put aside that the author worked for barack obama. we'll put that aside. but secondly, the study itself said that it wasn't going to be a score on mitt romney's plan. thirdly, it doesn't take into account the deficit reduction plans that mitt romney's put in place. reducing spending to 20. reducing individual income tax rates 28% across the board for middle-class families. getting rid of the big obama care tax. all of that deficit reduction, individual income tax reduction, and a plan to get rid of obama care, brings down the deficit that that makes the growth rate in this country increase and all of those assumptions weren't taken into effect. george, they just weren't in this plan. i think the growth rate that will come out of mitt romney's plan, of reducing taxes on small businesses, reducing taxes on individuals and cutting spending in washington, that, together,
10:15 am
creates growth, will increase individual income rates in jobs and getting america moving again. >> finally, mitt romney closing in on vice presidential candidate. i want to put something up from the weekly standard. go for the gold, mitt romney. they want a bold choice for vice president. what they write what looks safe could be risk. portman from ohio. pawlenty's presidential campaign was a disaster. the 2010 election was the best for republicans in a long time. ryan and ruio that's of course congressmen paul ryan and marco rubio. they want a bold choice. they think it's marco rubio or fellow wisconsinite paul ryan, do you agree? >> well, paul is one of my best buddies. i went to law school with marco rubio. and i think the other two guys, rob and tim pawlenty, are great as well. i think we're going to have an
10:16 am
exciting august, a great convention, unfortunately, we've got a president that doesn't seem to connect the dots. we got the birthday of the credit downgrade today. and we've got a democratic party that thinks we're moving in the right direction. so, i think the american people see things differently. we're going to give people a bold choice. i don't think people want another four years of this misery. and we're going to give them the anecdote and that's mitt romney. in november. >> we'll see you at the convention. chairman, thank you very much. >> thank you, george. coming up, our powerhouse roundtable weighs in all of the week's politics. >> it's halftime, america. and the second half is about to begin. >> clint makes mitt's day. >> i think the country needs a boost somewhere. chick-fil-a appreciation day. victory of free speech or celebration of discrimination in >> i believe in free speech. so i thought, let's show an appreciation not just for chickens. actually, i don't think the chickens were happy about today.
10:17 am
they really gave their lives in mass numbers. and later, the latest from london. michael phelps set an all-time all-time record for gold medals. he has so much gold on his chest he's been asked to join the cast of "jersey shore." of "jersey shore." te from sprint is now available in white. ♪ ♪ will i catch the moon ♪ like a bird in a cage? [ male announcer ] evo lets you hear what you love with beats audio. and capture what you love with both video and stills. [ camera shutter clicks ] it's everything you love about evo... in white. available only at sprint stores and sprint.com.
10:18 am
10:19 am
10:20 am
roundtable is coming up after this from our abc stations. coming up after this from our abc stations. i got the chance to start my own business.
10:21 am
i know what it's like to hire people and to make ends meet. from those experiences, i had the chance of running the olympics. the gameses were in real troub. there'd been way too much spending. and in massachusetts i found a budget that was badly out of balance. our legislature was 85% democrat. and every one of the four years i was governor, we balanced the budget. i want to use those experiences to help americans have a better future. we believe in our future. we believe in ourselves. we believe the greatest days of america are ahead. i'm mimitt romney and i appro this message.
10:22 am
♪ and i won't back down >> the fast food chain is the new ground zero in the culture wars over gay marriage. >> i think we're inviting god's judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at him when we say what constitutes a marriage. >> this was not a protest, it was an affirmation of the rights of an owner of a business to speak his or her convictions. >> chick-fil-a's values aren't chicago's values.
10:23 am
>> we are chicago, a built on gambling and ballot stuffing, not intolerance! >> chick-fil-a's appreciation day set sales records on wednesday. we'll get into that controversy coming up. let's join the roundtable. george will, steve rattner, jonathan karcovers congress and potics for us. also van jones, former obama adviser. and ann coulter, whose book "demonic" is now out in paperbook. george, let's start out on the economy. coming off of that friday's employment report. you see good news/bad news for either political side. i take away from it, we have the economy, the economic table is set pretty much going into the election? >> yes, july was the 42nd consecutive month of unemployment over 8%. which means october, we can be fairly sure it will be the 44th
10:24 am
consecutive month. back up a limit bit. in 2011, we created on average 150,000 jobs a month. through 2012, so far, 51,000 a month. 172,000 this most recent month. that means we're creating 50,000 more jobs a month than necessary just to keep pace with the growth of the workforce. that means, if we're going to reduce this notion of unemployment out there, in increments of 50,000 a month, would take us ten years. if you doubled our rate of job creation, it would take us three years. >> no way it can be under 8% on election day? >> i wouldn't say no way. it's 8.2%. it could go down a little bit. the fact is, this was a pretty good month, 160,000-plus new jobs and most of them in the private sector. in fact, more than 100% of them in the private sector and it's slow. i don't disagree with george. it's slow, but i think we're
10:25 am
making slow, steady progress. >> i don't think there's any way to make these numbers look good but this the recovery from the recession, recovery you're supposed to be, it's supposed to be the second ten years of reagan. this is supposed to be the 1984 election for obama. no matter how you talk about the numbers and adding these jobs and those jobs, everyone knows that people are out of work. which is really going to color this whole campaign. you often hear it said by the party out of -- person out of party, my opponent can't run on the record. that's why he's going to talk about personal attacks. it's actually true this time. president obama can't run on his record. which is why they're so obsessed with tax records. which is why romney has to be careful about who he chooses about vice president. no scandal, because that's all president obama will talk about. >> ronald reagan was able to win with 7.2% unemployment back in
10:26 am
1984, because the trend was in much better shape. >> the good news here, no double dip. the danger going into this month was, if we saw, again, this month what we saw last month, double-dip recession right in the middle of november, that would be game over. there's no double dip. who are you comparing obama to? obama created 4.5 million private sector jobs in four years, more than george bush. number two, romney said that he's a job creator, but when you look at his performance in massachusetts, his state fell to number 47 out of 50 in job creation on his watch. america is going this way. we don't want to fall to 47 out of 50 globally. i think we're moving in the right direction here. >> jon karl, i want to get to the tax plans in a second. this whole back and forth over harry reid and the tax returns. you cover capitol hill every day. you have covered harry reid. what do you make of how he's doubling and tripling down on this charge without releasing any evidence? >> first of all, it's the most
10:27 am
outrageous charge i have seen on the floor. sometimes you see this stuff out, you know, first there was an interview with huffington post, but when you see harry reid come to the floor of senate and makes an outrageous charge, mitt romney paid $3.1 million to the irs. he paid taxes. it's completely a false charge. reid loves it. the democrats love this. no matter how much he takes in, no matter how much he gets attack, here or by jon stewart, or anywhere else, it gets the story out and out again. romney played into it by saying put up or shut up. romney should have laughed it off, should have made a joke about harry reid's imaginary friend and moved on. it's unbelievable. >> is he right about that? >> harry reid's source, if we are to assume that he has one, is identified as investor in bain. i owned some microsoft, as a
10:28 am
investor in microsoft i now have an opinion on bill gates' tax return. he went to west virginia didn't know what to tell the republican club of wheeling, west virginia, he said, i have in my hand of 205 communists in state, didn't have a list. harry reid doesn't have any evidence. >> i don't disagree with either of you guys about harry reid. i don't think it was appropriate. why won't he release his tax returns? if he's paid taxes every year, why not release them and move on? and end this discussion. >> and it's true, ann, even though mitt romney told abc's david muir last week that he would show that he's paid more than 13.9% at various times, he went back and checked nothing came out. since then --
10:29 am
>> he absolutely should not release anymore tax returning. he released two years. bill clinton would release his -- wouldn't release his medical records. he's not releasing tax returns. that's something that the american people, we got two years on romney. you know that perfectly well the media distanced romney's m.o. unfortunately, romney isn't divorced. hopefully, his vice presidential candidate won't be divorced. it's always dirty politics. you remember, when obama was running against mccain/sarah palin. what did we get, false rumors of an affairs with john mccain. they have nothing on this mormon, they want his tax returns. >> mccain got 23. >> as james carville said, the only person who has seen tax returns, john mccain saw 23 years of tax returns and then he picked sarah palin.
10:30 am
there's something is being hidden here. >> nothing is big hidden. >> something isn't being revealed. hold on. this is what turns people off from politics. this is exactly the problem we have right now. ordinary people don't care about this stuff. what they care about more than anything else, their houses, one-third of the people watching this show, their homes are under water. it used to be, it was the good old days. when you signed that mortgage check you were building wealth for your family. in washington, d.c., you got ed demarco, a bush administration holdover, whose building held on by obama, who sits back and said, freddie and fannie, they came up with a report if they just reduced some of these mortgages and gave some mortgage relief and stopped overcharging people for their homes, america would save a billion dollars in foreclosures.
10:31 am
57bd keep people in their houses. this one bureaucrat said, no way, takes it off the table. that's wrong. it's not even become talked about in america. the american people can't continue to lose their shirts trying to keep to stay in their houses. >> i know you disagree with ed demarco. >> well, the housing situation is one of the most complicated policy issues that we have. we all would like to do more for homeowners. i think there's a feeling in america, i which i i can understand, e we canty in the sense, that someone who overborrowed, who got a second mortgage, used it to buy a new television is now under water. living next door to someone who acted responsibly and didn't take out a second mortgage. this is a highly emotional issue in washington. >> the great thing about the report, if you narrowed it to people who are not in that situation, you would save a billion dollars for americans. you're not talking about people
10:32 am
who are overborrowed. you're talking about the responsible people. they can't get hem from this administration or washington, d.c. that's why you have to have underwater voters sitting out this election in droves. that hurts the economy. >> i think they're house flippers. they won't give you the numbers. how many of these houses are under water are second homes? noticeably, all of the housing crisis hot spots, arizona nevada, california, not new york city. >> these are the issues that we talked about, not this other stuff. >> 75% of mortgage owners who are under water are continuing to pay their mortgages. if you get into now competitive debt forgiveness, the president is hinting that maybe student loans should be forgiven. then you're going to have a classic case of moral hazards with the incentives are for preverse behavior.
10:33 am
>> let's talk about the broader tax plans that each campaign has, and the president putting out ads against mitt romney's tax plans. you saw me talk to reince priebus about that tax center study. george, let me ask you about this, you heard what priebus said, the tax center has a reputation for nonpartisanship. they made the assumption that there would be some economic growth. yet, they still come up with a conclusion that it's mathematically impossible for mitt romney not to raise taxes for the middle class. is he going to have to do a better job of responding to that? >> he'll have to do a better job in his responding in some detail to the loopholes he plans to close. because that's the heart of the matter. we had a little experience of that week. the finance committee, they do the extenders. they extend all of these special tax breaks. let me give you one example, mitt romney has come out against extending the windpower tax break.
10:34 am
cost $1.8 billion a year. on the senate finance committee the vote was 19 to 5 to extend it. half the republicans on the committee voted for this bit of industrial policy that government picking winners and losers -- the republicans are just as bad and unreliable as the democrats. >> the problem with this, george as you said, that's $1.5 billion a year item. the only way you can pay for that, as the tax policy center found, was to eliminate 65% of all the loopholes. when we say loop holes, we're not talking about corporate jets and oil and gas, we're talking about the fact that your health care benefits are now taxed. we're talking about the fact that your 401(k)s and your i.r.a.s aren't taxed. so let's assume that people willing to accept that politically, you then get to a situation where that hurts the middle and lower class much more than it hurts you and me. the fact is,
10:35 am
under romney's tax plan, only people making over $250,000 a year, would actually end up ahead. everybody below $250,000 would end up behind. those are the facts. george, as you pointed out, the head of this tax policy center was an adviser of bush administration. >> i think chicago is going to try the obama campaign has made it clear that this study and its findings something that they'll talk about from now until november, but the only other thing you can consider is the utter plausibility of the taxing the rich and getting the budget anywhere near to balance, they presented plans without much detail. that are utterly implausible. frankly, i think both of them when they get into office, either one, next term, you'll have to raise taxes. >> the difference, though, is that you have obama putting forward a plan that would raise taxes on himself.
10:36 am
and you have romney putting forward a plan that would cut taxes on himself and raise taxes on everyone else. but, we're talking about two different things here. we have a problem with mitt romney, because it seems that mitt romney doesn't understand what ordinary people are going through. he has these magical mystery numbers, saying that he's going close loopholes. the levels, what he's calling loopholes what ordinary people rely on to keep moving forward in the economy. i think what you got here, do you want to elect someone who won't give you his tax returns? what he's put on paper is it will cut his taxes and raise yours. >> the point is whether barack obama's personal taxes get raised, we have to run this behemoth of neverland ranch of washington, d.c. and the main point is cutting the size of government.
10:37 am
that didn't freeze their salaries. they still get their automatic pay increases. that go into effect every year. you have the government running around having these conferences in las vegas and mexico. that's what romney is selling. he is the bain guy, he's going to cut down this ridiculously sized government. did you see the story today with amtrak food cart, with $10 two-week old turkey, they're losing $80 million a year, they're open an hour a week. that's how the government runs something. you need a bain guy to cut the size of government. >> the question is, how plausible is getting to your point about tax extenders. was the study, liberal leaning but seen as credible from both sides of the aisle, you're talking about 49% cut. >> as you said, mortgage interest deduction and the nontaxing of lawyer-provided health insurance.
10:38 am
there's zero votes in congress for cutting either of those. zero. >> so zero votes, then how do you make up the revenue, the $360 billion that's lost by romney -- >> the other problem that you have, which again i think ordinary people care about -- if this bill goes through, good analysts say that you're going lose 4 million jobs right away. we had to fight to get 4.50 million jobs. not only is this tax plan for him going to cut his own taxes and raise yours, he's also going to wipe out jobs. >> what jobs, government jobs? cutting taxes creates jobs. that's why we like cutting taxes. >> when you look at the ryan budget you wind up losing jobs. >> government jobs. >> we can have this fight right here right now. the real tax, the real job
10:39 am
creators are the middle-class people who buy products. and spend money. that's what creates jobs. >> i want to get to the next big decision that mitt romney has to make, choosing a vice presidential running mate. jon karl, you're covering this. you saw me ask reince priebus about the bold versus boring pick? >> the big decision facing romney, does he go with solid and safe? does he pick tim pawlenty or rob portman? or does he go bold, with marco rubio or paul ryan? i can tell you right now, they're looking at the big and bold. >> big and bold? >> romney is behind in virtually all of the battleground states. he's been urged by some voice within the republican party. to go big and bold.
10:40 am
the message that has come back particularly to marco rubio supporters is the reassurance that he's under serious consideration. that said, george, if you talk to republicans close to romney still overwhelming expectation that we goes -- there's increasing pressure and an increasing chance. >> what is the romney's assumption about the basic dynamic of this race? if they assume the accumulating bad economic numbers will push him across the finish line -- which has been their assumption. then, fine. go with safe and cautious. if not, if you think that at this point in the summer, there's time to change the basic perception of romney himself, as someone risk-averse in a country that needs risk taken, then bold would measure up. and i think the longer it takes the more bold would run. i would add to that list bobby jindal. >> do you accept the premise that that rubio and ryan are at top of that list? >> i have no idea.
10:41 am
>> when you look at the polls, the public doesn't feel the same way about the economy as the people sitting next to me. the president's handling of the economy, he gets decent marks. the public still blames most of these problems on the previous administration. i would love to see him pick paul ryan, then we could have a discussion about romney's economic plan. when people understand his plan, they'll understand all of the tax things that we talked about. they'll understand the spending implications of the ryan spending plan. what it does to medicaid and the 33% cuts that are going to occur in a whole series of programs, including food stamps. just to make his numbers work. i would welcome ryan and the discussion that we have about it. >> and the counterargument there is, ryan is the best person to defend his plan. >> you want to keep rubio and ryan where they are. i don't think it's bold versus drab.
10:42 am
as to whether mitt romney needs someone to galvanize the base. i think the base is definitely needed galvanizing with john mccain. i wasn't going to vote for mccain until he picked palin. the base is galvanized by obama care. that's not what you need here. what you need here is to go into the divorce records of the man he's running against, he needs someone that has no scandal that's pure than caesar's wife. that's all he needs. >> and it's not your choice, condi rice. >> i'm heartbroken. nobody's talking about it anymore. i was proud to be the first person on this show to put her in. there's always 2016. >> she's not divorced. >> before we go, george, ann coulter talked about energizing the base, i think we saw one base in texas, the tea party had
10:43 am
a big victory by the election of ted cruz. >> another example of journalistic malpractice in this country. the constant writing off of the tea party. which goes about his business to elect senators. that goes along electing ted cruz. often, george, the most interesting and important fight in american politics, aren't between the parties they're within the parties. people say about ted cruz, well, he's part of the anti-intellectual tea partty. well, princeton, harvard, i don't think so. then, they say, well, he doesn't play well with others. people in texas say, he doesn't play well with others. send him to washington. >> we have other primaries coming up. missouri and wisconsin. >> and i would say, deb fisher in nebraska, not exactly a tea party candidate, although she
10:44 am
was endorsed by sarah palin. sarah palin is 4 for 4 on her senate endorsements. she endorsed orrin hatch. so, it's a bit of a mixed record. but, i tell you that, the big difference this year, george, is that none -- we have no people in here like o'donnell or engel, there are no tea party candidates getting nominated. >> ted cruz's victory party, they served chick-fil-a. i want to talk about that, ann coulter, we saw those record sales at chick-fil-a. on wednesday. can kind of flacme-out -- what does tell you as the gay marriage going into the election? >> um, it tells me something about polls generally because they keep taking gallop polls, showing gay marriage is so popular, well, every time people have been allowed to vote on gay marriage, that's about in 35 states, it has lost in oregon,
10:45 am
in washington and in california. and now you see this guy and i actually what he said, because he made it clear that it wasn't an anti-gay thing. it's genuinely a pro-marriage position to oppose gay marriage. when you see those crowds coming out, i'm sorry -- it makes me suspicious at the polls on the presidential election. >> well, this became not an issue about marriage equality, it became an issue about free speech. and appropriately so. once the mayor stepped in. >> you think it was a huge mistake. >> i think thought it was a huge mistake. we're going to use the power of government to punish people because they had a different opinion. however, i think, citizen boycotts of chick-fil-a that's appropriate. government stepping, not appropriate. >> george soros is the dominant
10:46 am
owner of dinosaur barbecue, a great barbecue place, and i know a lot of conservatives who love dinosaur barbecue and eat ben and jerry's ice cream. >> i didn't know that. >> maybe ann will never go again. but, you know, i mean -- >> got to take a quick break. our top olympic moments. there's one thing that i have never understood about the olympics. for some reason, they open the games with the halftime show. i think it's metric. i don't know. ric. i don't know. and lives inside you. inspires the things you choose to do. things that may not always change the world in a big way. but can change it in a million little ways.
10:47 am
you do what you do... because it matters. at hp we don't just believe in the power of technology. we believe in the power of people when technology works for you. to do the things that matter. to dream. to learn. to create. to work. if you're going to do something. make it matter. ♪ i just went out there and swam. that's how we know we can. we're able to get our hand on first. it's weird to think that that was my last time ever. but it's something that i'm very
10:48 am
happy for and very proud of. as soon as i stepped up on to the podium, i could feel the tears start coming. i tried to fight it. but then i decided to let it go. i was about to really put the final cherry on top tonight. there's no better way to finish a meet like this. >> the most decorated olympian ever, michael phelps, 22 career medals. 18 gold. overall, the medical count. the usa over china 27 to 25. in gold medals. tied in overall medals. 55 each. van, your best moment of the week? >> you know, watching gabby's mom. dpaby douglas. she grew up in poverty, her mom has to send gabby away to a family that she doesn't know. that family takes her in. she's mothering her kids by skype. and she shows up at the olympics. that little girl gets the gold.
10:49 am
we're one family. color doesn't matter. it's having that common goal. >> she's now on the cover of corn flakes. steven rattner? >> it's so amazing to see how hard they try, the way they perform, but when you see someone like gabby in what she gave up and what she had to do succeed was amazing. >> what will you be watching this week? >> the usa men's basketball. they dominated tunisia, they dominated nigeria and they came up against lithuania and came damn close to losing. is the dream team really the dream team? >> did you watch? >> no, i was taping my next book all week. but i caught up this weekend to watch katie katie ledecky win the gold. because she's the niece of my friend john. george, i know it's 245rd watch olympics during baseball season. but i think all of us were
10:50 am
actually struck by what you wrote this week about so far, your column this morning, pretty simple but staggering conclusion, you wrote that football can't be fixed. >> the human body is no longer built for the kinetic energy of the national football league. and even down to high school. in 1980, george, there were 3 nfl players over 300 pounds. today, there are 3 over 350 pounds and 352 on the 2011 rosters weighed more than 300 pounds. over 20 yards, these guys are fast as cats. fast as running backs and the kinetic energy is producing what's creating chronic traumatic encephalopathy. cte. get used to that. it will be a subject of lawsuits and other things. the crucial word is crucial. repeated blows to the head, now we know causes early dementia and other problems. >> what's to be done about it? because, right now,
10:51 am
there's no evidence that the american public is ready to turn away. >> it will start at the small level of kids playing football in grade school and then in high school. we all know in our hypercautious parenting put crash helmets on children riding tricycles. how many of these parents are going to let their children go out and play football once they learn, again the chronic, the accumulative effect of small brain trauma? >> any way to fix football? >> i hope so. i was taken aback. i like football. my dad loves football. but i -- when you start hearing about people in your column, now they get to their 40s, they're 50s, they're demented. they're killing themselves because they can't live with it. i think we got to look at it. >> no way congress stepping in yet? >> i see no way. it's astounding. we were talking about refrigerator perry in 1985, he just looked like a giant on the field.
10:52 am
now he would be on the smaller end. >> in 2011, 31 of the 32 nfl offensive lines averaged over 300 pounds. >> wow. george will, thank you all. thank you all very much. terrific roundtable this week. your voice is coming up. but first -- three moments from this week in history. what year was it? >> the former soviet union becoming a capitalist country. >> the soviet union collapsed. >> the new regime the new leadership promises change, new order and new economy, and now they have to produce. the first gulf war began. >> how goes the war? >> the campaign is unfolding just as we had expected. as far as i'm concerned, it's the high-tech lenses for uppity blacks. >> and anita hill challenged clarence thomas. >> which one lied? the senate committee can't tell. and we may never know. >> was it 1989, 1990 or 1991? we'll be right back with the answer.
10:53 am
one is for a clean, wedomestic energy future that puts us in control. our abundant natural gas is already saving us money, producing cleaner electricity, putting us to work here in america and supporting wind and solar. though all energy development comes with some risk, we're committed to safely and responsibly producing natural gas. it's not a dream. america's natural gas... putting us in control of our energy future, now.
10:54 am
[ dramatic soundtrack plays ]
10:55 am
whether it's showing competitors' rates or striving to be number one, we're always up for a little competition. zap! [ sparking ] now, that's progressive. so, what year was it? when did the soviet union disappear and anita confronted clarence thomas? 21 years ago, 1991. and now, we honor our fellow americans who serve and sacrifice. this week, the pentagon released the names of 12 soldiers and marines killed in afghanistan. entagon released the names of 12 soldiers and marines killed in afghanistan. and finally, "your voice this week," today's question comes from kelly harper collins
10:56 am
who asked, do you and ali agree or disagree on politics? do you discuss, debate or avoid the subject? how do you explain those negative ads to your children our house is mostly politics-free zone. although the campaigns have given ali plenty of fodder for her comedy. the ads, new york is not a battleground state. my kids' tv is mostly for disney channel. but my 9-year-old checked out some of the debates and she decided that she would be an excellent moderator. that's all for us today. thanks for sharing part of your sunday with us. check out "world news" with david muir tonight and i'll see you tomorrow on "good morning america." knowing what to make and when could help cut down on thousands of unsold baked goods per month. using analytics, we discovered when it's drizzling outside... people eat more cake. and when the temperature rises, panini sales go up. finding these hidden connections helped our european bakeries increase profitability by up to 20%. let's build a smarter planet.
10:57 am
hd 8.
10:58 am
this is new york state. we built the first railway, the first trade route to the west, the greatest empires. then, some said, we lost our edge. well today, there's a new new york state. one that's working to attract businesses and create jobs. a place where innovation meets determination... and businesses lead the world. the new new york works for business. find out how it can work for yours at thenewny.com.
10:59 am

296 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on